As Christmas quickly approaches, time can swiftly drift away from us! Presents to buy, meals to organise, not to mention all the other things that we have to do in our everyday lives while attempting a sustainable vegan Christmas. It’s no wonder Christmas time tends to be stressful for most.
There’s no doubt that our consumption of products and food/drinks rise dramatically over the holiday season but the amount the impact it’s having might be more then you think….
Unwanted gifts, uneaten food, the list goes on. These next few statistics (National Storage) may be hard to wrap your head around.
– Australians are now collectively spending around $11 billion a year on Christmas gifts
– Aussies receive over 20 million unwanted gifts at Christmas time.
– 86% of Aussies find Christmas puts a strain on their finances, with buying Christmas gifts reported as the major cause (66%) of this pressure.
– Australians use more than 150,000km of wrapping paper during Christmas – enough to wrap around Earth’s equator nearly 4 times.
– In Australia alone, over 5 million tonnes of food ends up as landfill each year – enough to fill 9,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
– Throwing away one burger wastes the same amount of water as a 90-minute shower.
– 90% of Aussies usually discard over 25% off their food during the festive period (December 1 – January 1).
So we’ve put together a list of eco-friendly and sustainable gift ideas that will reduce your impact to the environment and that people will love!
1) Reusable coffee cups, water bottles & other utensil
We stock a number of beautiful reusable products and they’re the bomb! People love them and will love that they’re not harming the environment!
2) Crystals & Statues
These make excellent gifts as they can be kept forever! They’ll brighten or add to the receivers home and they’ll always remember you when they see it.
Experiences can be priceless and at little or no cost the environment! Get creative, gifts don’t have to be super extravagant or expensive. Maybe an art or pottery class. Or maybe simply a picnic at the beach.
4) Environmental and cruelty free products
Soaps, cleaning products, make up, beauty products and so much more. We stock it all! We have everything you need to make a sustainable and environmentally friendly swap! Come into one of our two stores over this Christmas period to get your prezzies sorted!
At the end of the day Christmas isn’t about gifts, it’s about spending time with the people you love, but we can always do our part in reducing our impact into the world we live in by having a sustainable vegan Christmas.